TEXAS ATTORNEYS AGGRESSIVELY DEFEND THOSE ACCUSED OF GUN CRIMES
Reputable San Antonio law firm helps clients fight weapons charges
With over 5,600 gun retailers throughout the state, guns are everywhere in Texas. When you are facing weapons charges or prosecution for a gun crime, you need the help of an established and determined Texas law firm. The San Antonio attorneys at the Law Offices of Alan Brown have extensive experience representing criminal defendants in court. The firm has been serving the south-central Texas area for more than 40 years. Our knowledgeable lawyers defend clients against charges of illegal possession of a weapon, the use of a weapon in a crime, murder and all other gun crimes.
Understanding Texas gun crimes
Because firearms are used in more than 60 percent of all Texas homicides, the law takes their possession and use seriously. There were 9,659 weapons arrests in 2014 alone in Texas. The criminal defense attorneys at Law Offices of Alan Brown defend clients against all weapons charges, including:
- Illegal possession or carrying. In Texas, it is a misdemeanor to carry a weapon without a concealed carry permit. Weapons cannot be carried openly except on your own property.
- Improper discharge. The crime of “deadly conduct” applies whenever a weapon is discharged toward people or a building or vehicle that could be occupied.
- Unlawful transfer. It is illegal to let someone have or use your handgun if you know they plan on committing a crime. It is also illegal to give or sell most weapons to minors, intoxicated persons or felons who are barred from possessing a weapon.
- Making a firearm accessible to a child. It is a crime to allow a person less than 17 years old to access a gun by failing to secure it. The firm helps clients establish defenses to this charge, including supervision or lawful defense of property.
In addition to these weapons charges, other criminal charges may become more serious (aggravated) when a weapon is shown or used during the commission of the crime. The firm represents those accused of armed robbery, assault or homicide involving the use of a weapon.
Penalties and fines applicable in San Antonio gun cases
Nearly all weapons crimes are classified as a Class A misdemeanor under Texas law. Class A misdemeanors include:
- Unlawful carrying
- Unlawful possession
- Unlawful transfer of a weapon
- Making a firearm accessible to a child
Gun and weapons crimes with more serious penalties include:
- Carrying a gun into a school, a racetrack, a polling place or onto premises licensed to sell alcohol
- Possessing explosives, machine guns, sawed-off guns and other prohibited weapons
- Using a weapon during an assault, a robbery or a homicide
The penalties for a Class A misdemeanor include fines of up to $4,000 and a county jail sentence of up to one year. Felony charges and repeat offenses often carry longer prison sentences and higher fines. The firm’s attorneys present a vigorous defense against misdemeanor and felony charges and work to get them dropped or reduced.
Contact the Law Offices of Alan Brown for a strong defense against your Texas weapons charges
If you have been charged with a gun crime in Texas, it is important that you speak to an experienced attorney who is passionate about protecting your rights and can begin planning your defense. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Alan Brown vigorously represent clients against all criminal charges. To schedule a free consultation with a San Antonio defense attorney, call the firm at 210-227-5103 or use their online contact form.